Monday 11 July 2016

Day 3: Gettin’ ‘er Done

by Diana

Joanna and I were lucky enough to score a sea-plane ride from Powell River to Earl’s Cove, the start of Day 3. The clouds cleared shortly before take-off, so we had gorgeous views of the Sunshine Coast and its many islands. By race-time, though, the rain had started again.



We met the other riders at the ferry terminal and rode the 58 kms over to Sechelt, our base camp that night. Day 3 felt like a mountain biking expedition, rather than a ride. Lots of logging roads and double-track, with a few, very short single track trails. There were some lovely moments – including my dear friend Deb Dovgala surprising us at the terminal. (Thanks, so much, Deb!!) Some of the views from high above the ocean were spectacular – one even stopping the racers to take pictures, which I had yet to see.

On the whole, though, it was a long slog. By the time we reached the long down-hill into Sechelt, we had ridden 5 hours, and I was bagged. Five hours of fun single-track is exciting, invigorating even. Five hours of dull climbing had drained me. Joanna embraced the downhill, calling out, “Let’s give ‘er, Mom!” I replied, “I’m not sure I have much more to give,” but Joanna was gone. Her North Shore experience set her up to shred the technical, muddy, rooty trail. I could find no flow, slipping in the large exposed roots, stepping off my bike frequently and sinking ankle-deep into the mud more than once.

Generally, Jo and I have been good at checking in with her other, waiting at intersections and riding as a team. I think Joanna had had enough of this long day, and wanted to get it over. Not seeing her along the way, I sunk deeper into a funk. (The fact that I had only gotten 3-4 hours sleep the previous two nights, amid my snoring camp-mates and the pounding rain, didn’t help.) By the time I saw her waiting, I was ready for a full-on melt-down. It wasn’t pretty.

Recovering somewhat, I finished the ride and we crossed the finish line a little over 6 hours in. We were greeted by lots of other long faces and comments of “Glad that’s over!”.  I think the organizers could easily lose this stage of the BCBR with no complaints!


I heard good things about Day 4 from Deb (who had supported her buddy Andrea Quinlan in the BCBR two years ago). “It’s just your kind of trail,” she said. “You’ll love it.” After a pretty demoralizing day, I headed to bed, looking forward to better rides ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment