Thursday 14 July 2016

Day 7: Whistler

by Diana

Here we are, finally, at the cusp of finishing this 7-day race! Squamish was a ton of fun, but the 53 km., technical course left me tired and hurting somewhat from a fall on my right side. As the race started, I was excited to finish, but somehow knew the 26-kilometre course would feel long. Little did I know!

Joanna and I had both ridden the course before, so knew what to expect – a relatively mellow start up a logging road, then up one side and down the other of Cheakamus Creek. From there, an uphill traverse and short, but steep logging road to Tunnel Vision, a fun downhill back to Whistler Village. Some road, up a technical trail, then down through some roots and rolls to the finish line.

The congested start let up on the logging road, but soon reverted to log-jams as the tired riders balked at relatively easy up-hills or bridges. The steep logging road stymied everyone but my Joanna, who earned applause as she was the only rider to stay on her bike up the entire road. I was keen to get moving down Tunnel Vision, a ride I had loved on the training run. Unfortunately, my sore ribs had me riding very cautiously and what should have been a relatively easy roll down some rocks ended with me splayed across the trail, landing on my sore ribs, with my front brake lever snapped off.

I started my retreat back up to the logging road, where I thought help might be found. A bike patroller intercepted us, though, and gave me my options – go back to the logging road and get a ride to the bottom, forfeiting my chance at a finish of the BC Bike Race, or rely on my rear brakes to get me down the 2 kilometers to the Aid Station, where the Shimano techs could help me out. There was no way I was giving up now, with less than 10 kms. of this 300 km ride remaining!

Joanna led on, and I gingerly made my way down the course, cursing my brakes as I walked down stuff I knew full well I could easily ride. A little later, Joanna revealed that her rear brakes were not working, getting worse as the ride went on. We were both pretty keen to see that Aid Station!

The Shimano techs were clear – neither of these bikes would make it to the finish line. My brakes were irreparable and part of Joanna’s frame was cracked. They quickly whisked out a couple of loaner Rocky Mountain bikes, switched pedals and sent us on our way.  Not before I stopped at the Medic tent, though, and swallowed a hand full of pain killers.

Off we went, with just one uphill and a downhill run between us and the finish line. Joanna gave me regular updates: “Just 4 kilometers to go, Mom.” “Just one kilometre left of uphill and we’re home free.” I could practically taste the finish line! Unused to the loaner bike, Joanna slipped on a rock, badly twisting her ankle with just 3.5 kms. to go. True to her nature, she wiped away the tears, grit her teeth and told the medic, “Just give me some drugs and let me ride!”

At this point, we could hear the cheering at the finish line. We manoeuvered the rooty downhill, landing on the final, off-camber rocky section leading to the trail home. I could hardly believe we were done, but yes, there was the finish line! There were Don, Karen and Dave cheering us on! We raised our arms, crossing the line (about an hour later than expected) with hands locked, huge smiles on our faces. Volunteers placed the coveted BC Bike Race belt buckle over our necks, amid smiles, hugs, tears and hoots of excitement. Our dear friends Peter and Anne, Mickey and the unexpected appearance of Kia made for an amazing reception committee.


We did it! What a week, what an experience! Now for the celebrating!

No comments:

Post a Comment